What is Science?
SCIENCE is a body of knowledge which is built up through experimental testing of ideas and which is organised in a way that makes it easy to use. Science is also a methodology, a practical way of finding reliable answers to questions we may ask about the world around us.
Please click on the links below which will take you to websites that can support your child in learning about the Scientific world around them.
Our aims in teaching Science are that all children will:
- Stimulate and excite pupils‛ curiosity about changes and events in the world;
- Satisfy this curiosity with knowledge;
- Develop a set of attitudes which will promote scientific ways of thinking
- Begin to build up a body of scientific knowledge and understanding which will serve as a foundation for future enquiry.
- Engage pupils as learners at many levels through linking ideas with practical
- Help pupils to learn to question and discuss scientific issues that may affect their own lives;
- Help pupils develop, model and evaluate explanations through scientific methods of collecting evidence using critical and creative thought;
- Show pupils how major scientific ideas contribute to technological change and how this impacts on improving the quality of our everyday lives.